This call for entry has closed and the information below is for reference only.
Looking for open calls for entry? View open calls
Looking for the IAPS 42nd Open Division gallery? View the online art gallery
The 42nd Open Division of the Spring Exhibition will be exhibited on the IAPS Website, iapspastel.org. This is an online exhibition only and no work will be shipped.
- Best in Show - $2,000
- First Place in Honor of Urania Christy Tarbet - $1000
- Second Place in Honor of Maggie Price - $600
- Third Place - $400
- four Awards of Merit - $200 each
- Works must be in dry pastel. No oil pastels. Mixed media must be predominantly dry pastel.
- Work must be original, not copied from other artists or published materials and from your own reference. Any reference provided by an instructor is not eligible, including an instructor- provided photo, still life setup or model setup.
- Work that was done in a classroom or workshop scenario is ineligible.
- All artwork must be originally drawn and not created on top of any type of photographic image.
- All work must have been created within the last two years.
- Paintings of nudes will be considered for acceptance.
- Artwork sent to the show must be exactly the same piece as the photo submitted.
- Work may not have been accepted in any previous IAPS Exhibitions. This does not include IAPS Member Society shows (see details below).
- Work may be for sale. NFS is acceptable.
- The top layer of the painting should be at least 80% dry application of pastel.
- If the outcome of the piece has been significantly and unduly influenced by another artist’s work, the jurors may consider the piece to be ineligible.
- Works that appear to duplicate a painting previously accepted into an IAPS show may be ineligible.
- In its pursuit of exhibitions of international excellence and distinction, IAPS encourages artists to enter new and fresh paintings. We recommend that you submit work that has not been included in a national show during the last 12 months, and has not won an award in any previous exhibition. We suggest that you not submit your entries into shows that will be running concurrently.
IAPS Master Circle and IAPS Eminent Pastelist
Entry procedures for artists outside the United States
Additional Notification Information
Notifications will be emailed by the end of the day on March 28, 2023. We cannot respond to inquiries regarding the status of notifications before then.
Please add [email protected] to your email safe senders list.
After notifications are sent, you may view the status of your entry in your ShowSubmit artist account’s Entry History. Accepted works will be notated by a green check.
If you do not receive your email, you may also view your notification letter using the View Notification link in your Entry History.Note: Entries made prior to 2023 may not display the View Notification link.
Image and Filename Specifications
- You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
- Submit your original JPEG image files.
- Crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual work; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the work itself.
- Image files are automatically resized to 300 dpi and 1200 pixels on the longest edge.
- Image files are automatically renamed using your last name, first initial and the title of the work. e.g.
Image and Filename Specifications
ShowSubmit will handle the file resizing and naming based on the show specifications. You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
If you have already resized your images, or if you prefer to resize your images yourself, ShowSubmit will not resize the image if it meets the exact show specifications.
If your images are smaller than the required size, ShowSubmit cannot 'upsize' your images. They will be saved as is.
All images must be high quality jpeg (jpg) image files. Set your camera to the highest possible quality image, use good lighting on your painting without any glass in front of it, and use a tripod for your camera. Once the photo is taken, you must crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual painting; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the painting itself.
The maximum upload file size limit is 20mb. Large image files may take longer to process and upload.
Additional Entry Information
- You will pay for your entry by credit or debit card using our secure checkout system.
- After your entry is submitted and paid for, you may log back in to review your entry, edit artist and image information, and add or substitute images up until the entry deadline (February 15, 2023.)
- Entry fees are not refundable and must be submitted and paid by the entry deadline.
- Entries cannot be accepted or changed after the deadline. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
Don't have an account?
Looking for the Control Panel or Juror login? Log in above and use the Switch Role dropdown to switch between account roles.