The National Association of Women Artists, Inc. (NAWA) welcomes American women Sculptors, whose medium is direct carving, to apply for this prestigious award.
Established in 1889, the National Association of Women Artists, Inc. (NAWA) promotes the work of American women artists, through a variety of exhibitions, awards and educational programs. Professional women artists are also welcome to apply for membership to NAWA. For details, please visit: www.thenawa.org, or send email to [email protected].
- Applicants must be 18+, a US citizen or a permanent US resident.
- Entry Fee: $75
- An award of $5,000 will be given to a woman artist whose medium is direct carving.
- The final decision will be based on artistic excellence.
- All work must be original with a minimum of 75% produced by direct carving.
- Work will be juried by three professional sculptor/carvers: Meredith Bergmann, Carol C. Griffin, and Maria Nevelson
- Application deadline: December 5, 2023. The winner will be notified in February 2024.
This is a competition for an award and does not have an in-person or online exhibition component.
- Award winner will be notified in February 2024
- The winner will be posted on the NAWA website.
- There will also be one Honorable Mention Merit Certificate.
- Winner will be posted on the NAWA website, (www.thenawa.org), the NAWA Facebook page (facebook.com/TheNAWA), and Instagram
- NAWA reserves the right to use images of artists’ work selected for publicity and educational purposes.
- The jury committees’ decision is final.
Please include the following required application materials with your application:
- Twenty images of direct carved sculptures (a minimum of ten different works) through showsubmit.com
- A (maximum) two-page artist resume, along with an artist statement and short biography.
- An application fee of $75 paid through showsubmit.com
- Your entry will be confirmed upon receipt.
Your application also ensures that you allow permission for your art imagery, identifying information (Title, size, etc.) and your name may be used in future promotions of the Hammerschlag Award, its winner(s), social media and website postings about this competition.
For over 40 years, Meredith Bergmann has been making sculpture that deals with complex themes in an accessible, beautiful, and provocative way. Working within the tradition of narrative sculpture, she draws on her love of the history of art, literature, and mythology to make the past speak to the present. Blending the sensuality and power of representational sculpture with her own subtle sense of mischief, her work evokes multilayered responses.
Carol C. Griffin
For over twelve years Carol Griffin studied figurative and abstract direct carving in wood and stone with master sculptor Lorrie Goulet: first at The Art Students League of New York, and later in Goulet’s private studio in New York City. Beginning in early 2023, Ms. Griffin, in turn, began teaching direct carving at Woodstock School of Art in Woodstock, New York.
Maria Nevelson is a creator with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. She currently runs the Louise Nevelson Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3) she founded in 2005 to educate and celebrate the art and life of the audacious sculptor. Maria has been published several times with essays on Louise Nevelson and has taken that expertise to licensing the art for products through her Nevelson LLC. Maria designs jewelry and her wooden brooches and an enameled metal lapel pin are selling in art museum stores including Whitney Museum of American Art, Jewish Museum, Amon Carter Museum of Art, and Farnsworth Museum of Art.
Additional Notification Information
Notifications will be emailed by the end of the day on February 29, 2024. We cannot respond to inquiries regarding the status of notifications before then.
Please add [email protected] to your email safe senders list.
After notifications are sent, you may view the status of your entry in your ShowSubmit artist account’s Entry History. Accepted works will be notated by a green check.
If you do not receive your email, you may also view your notification letter using the View Notification link in your Entry History.Note: Entries made prior to 2023 may not display the View Notification link.
Image and Filename Specifications
- You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
- Submit your original JPEG image files.
- Crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual work; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the work itself.
- Image files are automatically resized to 72 dpi and 1100 pixels on the longest edge.
- Image files are automatically renamed using your last name, first initial, title of the work, medium, dimensions, and price. e.g.
Image and Filename Specifications
ShowSubmit will handle the file resizing and naming based on the show specifications. You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
If you have already resized your images, or if you prefer to resize your images yourself, ShowSubmit will not resize the image if it meets the exact show specifications.
If your images are smaller than the required size, ShowSubmit cannot 'upsize' your images. They will be saved as is.
All images must be high quality jpeg (jpg) image files. Set your camera to the highest possible quality image, use good lighting on your painting without any glass in front of it, and use a tripod for your camera. Once the photo is taken, you must crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual painting; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the painting itself.
The maximum upload file size limit is 20mb. Large image files may take longer to process and upload.
Additional Entry Information
- You will pay for your entry by credit or debit card using our secure checkout system.
- After your entry is submitted and paid for, you may log back in to review your entry, edit artist and image information, and add or substitute images up until the entry deadline (December 5, 2023.)
- Entry fees are not refundable and must be submitted and paid by the entry deadline.
- Entries cannot be accepted or changed after the deadline. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
Don't have an account?
Looking for the Control Panel or Juror login? Log in above and use the Switch Role dropdown to switch between account roles.