Juror of Selection and Awards
- Open to all soft pastel artists.
- All subjects and styles are acceptable, but PSME reserves the right to reject any works deemed inappropriate.
- Paintings must be artist’s original design and composition, not copied from any other artist’s work, not painted in a class or workshop under instructor supervision and using only artist’s photographs and sketches.
- Work must be completed after January 2020 and visible painting surface be 80% soft pastels. No oil pastel.
- All work must be for sale; no NFS or POR allowed. Price changes after acceptance of submission is NOT ALLOWED. If accepted work is sold prior to the show, it becomes disqualified from the competition and artist is banned from PSME juried exhibitions for two years.
- Paintings that have won top awards (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) in any National or International juried pastel competition may NOT be submitted.
- Paintings previously shown in Pastel Society of Maine juried competitions may NOT be submitted. Do NOT submit a painting which is simultaneously being shown in another national or international juried art competition.
- Size limit is 40" including frame, in either direction.
- Work must be clean, securely framed to gallery framing standards, and ready to hang. Please, no sawtooth hangers, dirty mats, or incomplete framing (screws, wires) allowed. If mats are used, neutral colors such as grey, white, off white, or black are permitted.
PSME membership dues must be current.
1 to 2 images: $40; 3 images: $50
Each artist may submit up to three entries. A maximum of 2 pieces per artist may be juried into the show.
30% commission on sales will be taken to the museum. Artist is responsible to arrange shipping, collect postage from their buyer, or otherwise arrange delivery of sold painting.
Shipped works must be sent to this address no later than August 28:
117 Main Street,
Kennebunk, ME 04043
Mary Beth Morrison
2 day workshop: Sept 10-11, 2023
Mark making and Value
Members: $375 Non-members: $400
3 day workshop: Sept 12-14, 2023
Members: $560 Non-members: $600
Or take all 5 days:
Location: (Lodging and meals available)
Tara will isolate specific concepts with fast-paced demos and targeted exercises.
In the 3 day segment she will clearly unpack and make understandable Itten’s complex theory of color and contrast, so you can make its use practical in your own work.
Come to these inspiring workshops, which will invigorate your art practice.
See www.PastelSocietyofMaine.org for more workshop info and registration options. Opens to members April 1, nonmembers April 10.
Additional Notification Information
Notifications will be emailed by the end of the day on August 10, 2023. We cannot respond to inquiries regarding the status of notifications before then.
Please add [email protected] to your email safe senders list.
After notifications are sent, you may view the status of your entry in your ShowSubmit artist account’s Entry History. Accepted works will be notated by a green check.
If you do not receive your email, you may also view your notification letter using the View Notification link in your Entry History.Note: Entries made prior to 2023 may not display the View Notification link.
Image and Filename Specifications
- You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
- Submit your original JPEG image files.
- Crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual work; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the work itself.
- Image files are automatically resized to 300 dpi and 1500 pixels on the longest edge.
- Image files are automatically renamed using your last name, first initial and the title of the work. e.g.
Image and Filename Specifications
ShowSubmit will handle the file resizing and naming based on the show specifications. You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
If you have already resized your images, or if you prefer to resize your images yourself, ShowSubmit will not resize the image if it meets the exact show specifications.
If your images are smaller than the required size, ShowSubmit cannot 'upsize' your images. They will be saved as is.
All images must be high quality jpeg (jpg) image files. Set your camera to the highest possible quality image, use good lighting on your painting without any glass in front of it, and use a tripod for your camera. Once the photo is taken, you must crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual painting; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the painting itself.
The maximum upload file size limit is 20mb. Large image files may take longer to process and upload.
Additional Entry Information
- You will pay for your entry by credit or debit card using our secure checkout system.
- After your entry is submitted and paid for, you may log back in to review your entry, edit artist and image information, and add or substitute images up until the entry deadline (July 31, 2023.)
- Entry fees are not refundable and must be submitted and paid by the entry deadline.
- Entries cannot be accepted or changed after the deadline. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
Don't have an account?
Looking for the Control Panel or Juror login? Log in above and use the Switch Role dropdown to switch between account roles.