This call for entry has closed and the information below is for reference only.
Looking for open calls for entry? View open calls
Looking for the RRPSNV Orange gallery? View the online art gallery
1308 S Main St, Las Vegas, NV
- Best in Show - $1000 or a sponsor-provided prize of equal or greater value
- 1st - $500 or a prize of equal or greater value provided by one of our Amazing Industry sponsors.
- 2nd - $200 or a prize of equal or greater value provided by one of our Amazing Industry sponsors.
- 3rd - $150 or a prize of equal or greater value provided by one of our Amazing Industry sponsors.
- Honorable Mentions will be awarded Cash or Merchandize.
Jurors and Judge
Juror: Corey Pitkin
Juror: Halla Shaffey
You may join at www.redrockpsnv.org/get-involved
- This is a themed show. The theme is ORANGE and your own artistic interpretation of it.
- Your works must be done with dry pastel; the top layer must consist of at least 80% of dry pastel. No oil pastels can be used.
- Only two-dimensional works are permissible. Pastel mosaic, sculpture, and digital pastel works are not eligible.
- The work must be original, not copied from other artists or from any other published material. Works done from photographs made by someone other than the artist are not eligible.
- Please withhold from entering any work that has been awarded major awards (Best in Show, I, 2, 3 places) in any other online or live shows.
- All artwork must be originally drawn and not created on top of a photo or a print.
- All works must have been created within the last three years.
- Paintings of nudes will be considered for acceptance.
- Not for Sale works (NFS) will NOT be accepted
- Works done under supervision (such as in a workshop or class) are not eligible. Works done during or based on images from the unguided online sessions are eligible.
- Work exhibited in 2019-2022 RPSNV Member Juried Exhibitions is not eligible.
$35.00 for the first image and $10.00 for each additional image.
$25 and $10.00 for each additional image.
$20 and $5.00 for each additional image.
Please make sure you are entering the correct show. Follow the directions for entry. You do not need to have a PayPal account to pay the entry fee online, just a valid credit card.
Framing of Artwork
Judge of Awards
For the past 25 years Handell has held annual one man exhibitions at the Ventana Fine Art gallery in Santa Fe. He has had numerous Museum Exhibits, the last one was at the Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown OH., 2007, He is part of their permanent collection, along with other museums, and numerous corporate and private collections. He has written 5 table top instructional books on his Oil and Pastel painting and teaching, and has had numerous articles in every magazine which deals with realism. He exhibits in Invitationals and National exhibits regularly. He has received his share of prizes and awards and is regularly asked to jury and judge National Exhibits. He is a master artist to name a few, in the Oil Painters Of America (OPA) and The American Impressionists Society. (AIS)
***Pastel Society of America Hall of Fame Honoree: 1987 Albert Handell PSA-MP (honors his special achievements in pastel painting)
Jurors of Selection
Margaret is an Eminent Pastelist of the International Association of Pastel Societies. Interested in both landscape and figurative subjects she regularly paints en plein air and in her garden studio. Her impressionistic style may derive from her former career as dancer, choreographer, theater director at San Diego State University and even earlier at Natal University, Durban, South Africa. In Margaret’s own words: “I am in a landscape and the landscape is in me. When painting what I see I “become” a tree in the landscape. My sound is the breath and rustle of the pastel stick or brush on the surface of paper or canvas.I am interested in investigating more deeply the places familiar to me and also sharpening my responsiveness to the special character of new places I encounter along the way. I love the wild places of America, Africa and Europe. Direct painting is critical. If I don’t go out to paint every day, wherever I am, I get a bit cranky with myself – so I try to avoid that for everyone’s peace of mind! For larger studio paintings I use references of plein air sketches, photographs, and personal experiences.“
Margaret Larlham’s pastel work has garnered national and international attention. These days, with her own studio built in her garden, she is able to paint full time and receive collectors privately to view her latest work. Plein air and direct painting remain critically important, rewarding and transformative to her process. The plein air invitationals in Berlin, Borrego Springs, Sedona and Grand Canyon are enjoyable highlights. Margaret has been a member of the Red Rock Pastel Society since 2020 and her work got noted with various awards during our annual member exhibitions.
Corey Pitkin’s work is an exploration of ephemeral beauty expressed simply and genuinely. Using old master-esque muted colors complimented with subtle edgework his pieces shift and glimmer yet maintain their precision. His subjects are memories that slip away when you try to hold onto them for more than a moment. A predominantly self-taught artist, Pitkin’s award winning work has been featured in The Pastel Journal, Art Renewal Center, Portrait Society of America, Pratique des Arts Magazine, and International Artist Magazine, and is held in collections across the world. He is a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America where he also serves on the Board of Governors. He has achieved Master Circle status with the International Association of Pastel Societies and assists with their technology needs. Pitkin teaches frequently online and regularly travels for in-person workshops. He currently resides in upstate New York with his wife Esther and children Anastasia and Xavier.
Additional Notification Information
Notifications will be emailed by the end of the day on August 15, 2023. We cannot respond to inquiries regarding the status of notifications before then.
Please add [email protected] to your email safe senders list.
After notifications are sent, you may view the status of your entry in your ShowSubmit artist account’s Entry History. Accepted works will be notated by a green check.
If you do not receive your email, you may also view your notification letter using the View Notification link in your Entry History.Note: Entries made prior to 2023 may not display the View Notification link.
Image and Filename Specifications
- You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
- Submit your original JPEG image files.
- Crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual work; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the work itself.
- Image files are automatically resized to 300 dpi and 1500 pixels on the longest edge.
- Image files are automatically renamed using your last name, first initial and the title of the work. e.g.
Image and Filename Specifications
ShowSubmit will handle the file resizing and naming based on the show specifications. You do not need to resize or rename your image files.
If you have already resized your images, or if you prefer to resize your images yourself, ShowSubmit will not resize the image if it meets the exact show specifications.
If your images are smaller than the required size, ShowSubmit cannot 'upsize' your images. They will be saved as is.
All images must be high quality jpeg (jpg) image files. Set your camera to the highest possible quality image, use good lighting on your painting without any glass in front of it, and use a tripod for your camera. Once the photo is taken, you must crop out all parts of the photo that are not the actual painting; do not show mat, frame, etc, only the painting itself.
The maximum upload file size limit is 20mb. Large image files may take longer to process and upload.
Additional Entry Information
- You will pay for your entry by credit or debit card using our secure checkout system.
- After your entry is submitted and paid for, you may log back in to review your entry, edit artist and image information, and add or substitute images up until the entry deadline (August 3, 2023.)
- Entry fees are not refundable and must be submitted and paid by the entry deadline.
- Entries cannot be accepted or changed after the deadline. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
Don't have an account?
Looking for the Control Panel or Juror login? Log in above and use the Switch Role dropdown to switch between account roles.